COMPOSITION OF THE LIBRARY
The Library presently has four (4) sections as follows:
The Collection management section is responsible for the following functions of the library:
- Purchase of library books/materials.
- Subscription to print/electronic journals.
- Cataloguing and classification of library books/materials.
- Indexing and Abstracting.
- Binding services (weak/loose books/materials and back issues of serials/newspapers).
- Stock management (stock evaluation, weeding etc).
Book Lending and Customer Service
The Book lending and customer service section is responsible for the following:
- Circulation of books/materials.
- Shelf management.
- Registration of new library users.
- Front-line services.
- User-education programmes (orientation and training).
- Enforcement of library rules and regulations.
- Management of quick service collections (reserve books/materials).
Reference and Research Service
The Reference and research service section is responsible for the following library functions:
- Provision of personal assistance to library patrons in the use of the library.
- Assisting library patrons to search for information both within and outside the library.
- Management of reference collections.
- Special Reference Services:
- Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI).
- Current Awareness Service (CAS).
- Question and Answer Service (QAS).
- Library research and evaluation activities.
- Operation of inter-library loan services.
- Referral Services.
- Research and publishing services
Electronic Support Service
The Electronic support service section is for the following library functions:
- Management of integrated library management system (Librarysoft).
- Management of computing facilities in the library namely; computers, photocopiers, telephone, Local Area Network and internet.
- Maintenance of the Open Public Access Catalogue (OPAC).
- Management of electronic information resources namely; CD-ROMs, audio visual materials.
- Operation of internet/photocopy services.
- Registration and monitoring the use of on-line databases.
- Management of the MUCG Institutional Repository.